I use JDO but I don't use the built in relationship handling. I manage
my own relationships and use JDO just for the property/entity mapping
part of it.  It seems to make life a lot simpler when trying to get
around these types of situations. If you can make the Orders not be
children of the Account class and manage your own relationships that
will make your life a lot easier in the long run even if it's more
work initially and your code much faster and efficient, IMHO. Also,
you might want to take a look Objectify. Others here seem to like it a
lot.