The new price model says $0.08/hour for every new instance.
http://www.google.com/enterprise/appengine/appengine_pricing.html

That sounds extremely expensive, or have I missed something?

One GAE server no doubt runs many instances, or? 0.08 * 24 * 30 =
$57.6 per month. Yikes. At the moment my apps have very low traffic,
but already today 2 instances are often running. With increased
traffic many instances may be running all the time resulting in huge
monthly bills.