I would also point out that it is possible for Java apps to migrate from
Master/Slave to High Replication:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/adminconsole/datastoreadmin.html#Copying_Entities_to_Another_Application

Having to create an empty Python version of your app is no doubt clunky and
not something we're happy about having to recommend, but it doesn't take
much effort and it does work.

Max