Not sure if this is the best pattern for using the backend to be
honest. I would suggest that you don't use the backend for end user
web requests. Here are a couple of alternatives:

- Trigger the backend process using a task so it is independent of the
client web request. Indicate to the end user that the report is being
generated. Once the process is complete the backend emails the report
to the user.

- As before, trigger the backend process using a task so it is
independent of the client web request. Forward the user to a page
listing reports generated previously with the current report marked as
pending. This report list is generated from the datastore. Once the
backend process has completed it pushes the report into the blobstore
and marks the report entity in the datastore as having been generated.
Once the client refreshes the list of reports page they will see that
it has been generated and can download it directly from the blobstore
as many times as they like.

regardz,
pdjamez

http://www.pdjamez.com