IIRC, the loading request latency doesn't affect the average time. It's an
average, I believe, and it's a moving window.

A long startup time, however, will result in the scheduler almost always
favoring putting items in the pending queue instead of spinning up new
instances, though. When scheduling a request, we do the lesser of:

cold start time vs. sliding window of pending ms

So if your app takes 10 seconds to startup and requests are spending 5
seconds in the pending queue, we will send the requests to the pending queue
until the expected wait is 10+ seconds. If we decide to spin up new
instances, we only spin up one instance at a time. During the spin up time,
we continue to place new requests on the queue.

I'm thinking we need a new section about scheduling, auto scaling and
wallclock. The wallclock stuff is probably the most confusing ...

Ikai Lan
Blog: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/app_engine
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/appengine