First, I noticed that a ,txt file I put in war/WEB-INF wasn't seeing its
updates picked up.  I changed the .txt file to contain 7 lines and it still
only read 6 lines.  Then I noticed a .jsp file was not updating.  I put in
some java into the jsp to read this text file.  I get the following in my
log:

/jsp/index.jsp
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.io.Reader.<init>(Reader.java:78)
        at java.io.InputStreamReader.<init>(InputStreamReader.java:72)
        at org.apache.jsp.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:56)

Then i take the portion out of the .jsp file which does the file reading and I
get the same log.

Is there anything I could be doing or not doing to prevent .jsp files and files
in the classpath from being
overwritten?  Maybe the java file generated from the .jsp file is not being
updated while the .jsp is?