You just need to retrieve it, change it and close the persistence manager.
No makePersistent method needed.

For example:

public void updateEmployeeTitle(User user, String newTitle) {

    PersistenceManager pm = PMF.get().getPersistenceManager();

    try {

        Employee e = pm.getObjectById(Employee.class, user.getEmail());

        e.setTitle(newTitle);

    } finally {

        pm.close();

If you're using Datastore , the principe is the same.