Shrug.  Given that any domain chosen cannot have "google" as part of it (G
doesn't want to convey any kind of public endorsement of our applications),
appspot seems about as good as any.  Sure "cloud.com" would be nice but I'm
pretty sure the people already using cloud.com have other ideas on the
matter.

Just shell out the $10/yr for your own domain.  You can host any number of
apps under your own domain as subdomains.

Jeff