I just wanted to say this works for me too.   All you need to do is run
Charles (this is on Mac OS X) and voila, it works.

I spent a few hours trying to get it to work via web.xml modifications (I
tried to turn off passwords)  Also... the format of the python datastore is
different than the java one.  So don't bother running python server to
import data.  You can't just copy that datastore file over to the Java
version.

Thank you!
Matt