I'm not using a pseudo-2-site model myself anymore as I recently
simplified my structure.
For SDK 1.5.2 I had errors upon submitting for deployment more than
static 100 files, so keep that in mind.
If SDK 1.5.5 increased the max of number of static files to be
uploaded, or your files are within limit,
next keep in mind that appengine implementation of
javax.Servlet.Filters work upon dynamic
content (filters are not applied to static content at this time).
So if you need to sense the user agent on server-side using your
library of preference, make sure that
your welcome file is a jsp file in order for your browser agent filter
to intercept
up the request.
If you are instead using a static html file that includes javascript
to sense the
viewport size (= document.width) and then redirect, you won't need to
use a javax.servlet.Filter
and can replace the welcome file with your index.html instead
(caveat is that if you advertise, you won't be able to use that
default url as it will now result in a redirect).

Here's how it could work w/ welcome file index.html:

If you had webapp directories:
    /site/
    /site/mobile/

in appengine-web.xml use:
   <public-root>/site</public-root>
   <static-files>
        <include path="/site/favicon.ico" />
        <include path="/site/index.html" />
        <include path="/site/about.jsp" />
        <include path="/site/error.html" />
    </static-files>

in web.xml use:
    <error-page>
        <error-code>404</error-code>
        <location>/error.html</location>
    </error-page>
    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

I'll leave the app version that uses an index.jsp welcome file and a
browser agent filter up to you, but it should work similarly.