That's 50k reads every 5 minutes if applied to dnkoutso's use case, which
could hurt a bit.

The alternative I've mentioned may be cheaper if the number of items tracked
is very large compared to the frequency of the count increments. I believe
my method incurs 6 write ops per increment (1 + 2 to index the referenced
entity, multiply by 2 since the increment will be deleted when flushed), but
each flush will only update the entities that have their counts changed. If
live count is not necessary, then the write ops can be reduced to 2 as the
referenced entity does not have to be indexed.