Hi Mat,

I started with Java web development on GAE in January. I did some research
on template frameworks because I came from the PHP-world.
I wanted a templating engine without importing a large framework, without
learning a complete new language, and with some good documentation.
My choice became Freemarker.

Because they're using some classes that are on the App Engine's blacklist,
they've created a GAE friendly jar.

The fun part of Freemarker is that you can pass any POJO class to your
template and print/use your class variables and methods.
It has some handy formatters (show the GMT date in any Timezone of your
choice), print numbers with 1... n decimals,...
And you can include other templates from a template.

You can write the result to HttpServletResponse.getWriter() or save it in a
StringBuffer and do whatever you want with it.
To me, it's fast.. but I haven't compared the speed against other engines.

The blog: http://freemarker.blogspot.com/
The documentation: http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html
And the homepage where you can download the GAE-version!
http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/index.html

Good luck!