> 2), I don't pass objects between PMs.

Well I can only comment on your example, which closes the PM after
persist (so the object goes to hollow then to transient), and *then*
you check on field values. Things will be nulled unless retainValues
is set. See
http://www.datanucleus.org/products/accessplatform/jdo/object_lifecycle.html
for a more user friendly abbreviated form of the JDO spec object
lifecycle.

>  I just get the object in another PM by its PK, is that wrong

Closing the PM is correct, and nothing wrong with getting an object by
its id. The thing is though, once you've got the object by the id, you
must access the values via getters otherwise they will be null ;-) And
you could easily look in the db viewer to see if things were persisted
in the first place