I'd like to add the following addendum to my post.

The images composite as expected if instead of trying to composite
them in GAE, I instead composite them in the browser using HTML5
canvas code.

I have assumed that since several of these images are in the 750K
range that I need to composite them on the server and reduce the
bandwidth of sending multiple images over http.

Can anyone comment on this assumption.

1) Is the speed of GAE compositing multiple 1M images and downloading
a single image compared to downloading those same multiple images to
the browser much faster?

2) Is the GAE cost of CPU for compositing comparable to GAE cost for
bandwidth?