The exact error message I'm getting after retrying a few times is:

Unable to update app: Version not ready.

See the deployment console for more details
Unable to update app: Version not ready.

The console contins the following message:

    Will check again in 60 seconds.
    Will check again in 60 seconds.
     on backend null.
java.lang.RuntimeException: Version not ready.

Debugging information may be found in
/tmp/appengine-deploy5680317175029902547.log

And such file has the following information:

Unable to update:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Version not ready.
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.admin.AppVersionUpload.commit(AppVersionUpload.java:535)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.admin.AppVersionUpload.doUpload(AppVersionUpload.java:141)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.admin.AppAdminImpl.doUpdate(AppAdminImpl.java:328)
        at
com.google.appengine.tools.admin.AppAdminImpl.update(AppAdminImpl.java:52)
        at
com.google.appengine.eclipse.core.proxy.AppEngineBridgeImpl.deploy(AppEngineBridgeImpl.java:400)
        at
com.google.appengine.eclipse.core.deploy.DeployProjectJob.runInWorkspace(DeployProjectJob.java:148)
        at
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

If this is a problem on google's side I hope it get fixed sometime soon.

Reagards,

John Goche