Not sure what you mean by make your .svn directories writable. I develop on
linux and all the .svn folders have rwx for the user under which I develop.
The development server runs as the same user. Should I make the adjustments
for group and others? What about the subfolders inside the .svn folder?
Should I mess with them too?

This is the exception I get:
    at
com.google.appengine.tools.util.Logging.initializeLogging(Logging.java:35)
    at
com.google.appengine.tools.development.gwt.AppEngineLauncher.start(AppEngineLauncher.java:77)
    at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.doStartUpServer(DevMode.java:509)
    at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.startUp(DevModeBase.java:1068)
    at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.run(DevModeBase.java:811)
    at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.main(DevMode.java:311)
    at
    at
    at com.intellij.rt.execution.application.AppMain.main(AppMain.java:120)
    at com.google.appengine.tools.info.SdkInfo.getLibs(SdkInfo.java:77)
    at
com.google.appengine.tools.info.SdkInfo.determineOptionalLibs(SdkInfo.java:284)
    at
com.google.appengine.tools.info.SdkInfo.determineOptionalUserLibs(SdkInfo.java:254)
    at com.google.appengine.tools.info.SdkInfo.init(SdkInfo.java:233)
    at com.google.appengine.tools.info.SdkInfo.getSdkRoot(SdkInfo.java:182)
    at
com.google.appengine.tools.info.SdkImplInfo.<clinit>(SdkImplInfo.java:19)
    ... 11 more

I think this is the relevant issue on the issue tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=6936

This is still an issue in 1.6.3.
Please fix this ASAP.