Davide,

I really don't see the Django template language being a valid concern
at all. It is just a library that Google provides, no one is forcing
you to use it.

And further, personally I think that if you find Django templates too
limiting, you probably don't fully understand it. I switched to Django
after coding with Ruby on Rails and PHP, both of which allow you to
embed code right in your templates. It was a difficult transition at
first, but the restrictions placed by the Django template language
make sense, and they encourage good programming practices of the
separation between programming logic and presentation code.

And if you're concerned about reusing blocks of code, the concerns
about {% with %} are only relevant to Django < 1.0, and the devs have
been telling users to use SVN (which is very stable) and not 0.96 for
MONTHS now. (Yeah, AE only supports 0.96 out-of-the-box, but that
makes sense. Why would Google want to track SVN? I just have my own
checkout of Django I use. And besides, Django 1.0 is due for release
next week. I guarantee Google will support it.) And besides, I have
never had to use {% with %}. Most code repetition I come across is
more logically solved with block inheritance.

I strongly recommend you upgrade to the latest Django beta and read
the template docs. And if it really doesn't work for you, there are
plenty of other options.

This post is really about the problems that Google has with
communications about where App Engine is going (and WHEN).