There's a couple reasons I'm not going in that direction.

1. The lack of ssl support for appengine. Currently there's just no
way to have a secure authentication system. Except of course using
Googles. Once openid consumption can work, that might be a good
alternative and sessions could be used to wrap around that.

2. Authentication systems are rarely one size fit all. I've found most
frameworks I've worked with I've often made changes to how they handle
authentication directly.