To me it seems that GAE isnt really built for this kind of scenario.
There is not a strong enough
guarantee on confidentiality to allow the hosting of very sensitive
data, even if the regulations would
allow say temporary storage and processing (the data could later be
transferred to somewhere inside the enterprise).

Since GAE is basically just python with some frameworks the
"programming environment" isnt really
where the value lies. Rather the value of Appengine lies in the easy
deployment and the scalable
hosting environment. None of these you would get if you had a
"standalone" or "enterprise" version.
So, even though it might not be impossible for Google to launch either
an appliance or a software
version of the GAE environment it seems to me highly unlikely and I am
unsure about the value of
such an offering?

Linus