> If I was a member of the marketing staff, I would have pursued a
> strategy that ensured that defaults for appengine didn't lock you into
> an ultra orthodox view of web development like Django Templates take.
> By ultra orthodox I mean handcuffing the templates so you cannot
> insert Python code in them.

While I agree that claims shouldn't be made for not fully working
frameworks, I'd rather the core AppEngine team implement features the
rest of the community would have great difficulty implementing.  I
don't consider templates a difficult piece of the pie.  I'm a relative
python newbie and if I had a little more time and motivation, I'd
create a version of Haml (template system out of Ruby world that uses
pythonic indentation for clarity) that allows embedded python.  As far
as I can tell, there's nothing preventing any of us from creating such
a framework because evals aren't sandboxed.

I haven't created that template system (yet) because I find Django's
templates sufficient.  Yes, I run into the python embedding issue
sometimes, but there are ways to work around it and Django does
provide a nice number of filters and a tailorable template system.

There's a difference between things the community can build on the
existing framework and things Google probably has to do themselves,
like https support, cross-app datastore access, and relaxing the
sandbox or securing important packages like full PIL support.  Stuff
we can't do as a community should take priority.