I registered my domain with Namecheap. Switching my app to GAE, I
moved by nameservers to the default Namecheap ones. Then I set up a
CNAME record so that the host name '@' refers to 'ghs.google.com'.
This worked great. Then, I wanted my email to work, so I went to set
up my MX records. I followed Google's instructions, and despite
waiting well over 48 hours, email did not work.

I emailed Namecheap support and they told me that it is impossible to
have a CNAME record for '@' and to have MX records for '@'. This is
unacceptable.

They said the ONLY thing to do was create a framed redirect from '@'
to the 'www' hostname, and then set up the CNAME on 'www' and MX
records on '@'. I do NOT want to access my site at http://www.example.com
and certainly do not want a framed redirect (what is this, 1999?).

Is there anyway to do this? Surely others have wanted to set up a GAE
app and Google email on the same domain...

If it is a problem with namecheap, I would transfer instantly to
godaddy or whomever this works properly with.

Thanks a lot!