I understand that. The line of failure in my original posting was
generated from this line:

document.getElementById("recipeIngredients").value="{{recipe.ingredients}}";

recipe.ingredients is the value from a text area written to the
database. The new lines are necessary for display.

Can you provide a suggestion on how two resolve this?