A more general question first: my app has been experiencing more than
20 datastore write timeouts per day on average with an average of
approx. 30K daily data write requests.  I understand that it's only a
0.07% failure rate, but that's still too high for my liking.  Some of
my users' data has already been corrupted because my code didn't
foresee every possible fault scenario.  I've been spending lots of
time trying to make my code and data bulletproof over the past month
but it's an uphill battle.

I'd like to know more about the cause of these mysterious failures.
They mostly happen on data writes (in my case on Entity.save and
Entity.get_or_insert), but sometimes also reads (in
Entity.get_by_key_name).  Could they be recovered if App Engine
allowed waiting longer than 4000 ms?  Or is it fatal when you've
already waited this long? (when the same request succeeds, it does so
under 200ms)

It would be really awesome if App Engine could provide more fault-
tolerance.  Perhaps App Engine could time out these things sooner and
do a couple of retries automatically before throwing an exception?
It's too late for the handler code to trap these exception and retry,
right?

It's pretty frustrating seeing my logs filled with these errors and
have to keep worrying about the affected users.

Now regarding today:  almost a hundred datastore timeouts between 9:30
and 9:41 am.

Relevant stack trace:

  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/db/
__init__.py", line 618, in put
    return datastore.Put(self._entity)
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
datastore.py", line 162, in Put
    raise _ToDatastoreError(err)
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
datastore.py", line 1627, in _ToDatastoreError
    raise errors[err.application_error](err.error_detail)
Timeout