Benchmark wise, one thing I noticed recently was this.

Working on an eeepc using the development SDK, I had an operation that
did 122 puts. This took over a minute to complete. I modified it so I
created a json formatted list which then only required 1 put, and the
difference was incredible. About 2 seconds for the entire operation to
complete.

I do not know how this compares to the live version of appengine, but
on the development sdk it was huge.