Rich, correct me if I'm wrong but that code you sent will add a new
read and a new write to every page hit and on top of that if the
person is banned they will still be able to reach the webpage and
cause it to perform this same read/write.  I think DDOS attach
protection needs to be done on a much lower level than that.