I see what you're saying.

It's not possible to use the maxresults or query parameters with the
gdata-python-client.
In order to use these, you have to operate with raw HTTP.

I'm posting here because the GDocs API team told me to. Apparently,
there is no plan in the works to fix the response time issues on their
side - and besides, why should Google enforce the 5 second policy for
their own feeds?

There is already an issue in the tracker for gdata-python-client.

Sam