Entities always have a key, available as entity.key(). In addition to
that, you can set a friendly key at construction only (can't be
changed or set later), using key_name. If you do not however set a
key_name, app engine will assign a numeric id, available as
entity.key().id().

In other words, change your pagination to something like: items =
Item.filter('key >', request.get('start')).fetch(1000), and pass the
key of the last item as the start parameter.