Nothing in your python scripts, including the template engine, can
access anything in a static directory or declared as a static file in
app.yaml.  The static files are not copied to the same server as your
python scripts so it doesn't matter how you try to reference them;
they're *only* available at their static URLs over the web.

I believe there's an issue filed requesting that the dev server show
the same behavior, but that seems tricky since the scripts execute
directly from your source directory and hacking the python interpreter
to make stuff in the filesystem invisible to the scripts sounds a bit
ugly.