There is now a 1,000 limit on offsets (which was introduced without
any notice).

Effectively, your only option is to do what José recommends.

The docs must be updated to reflect this limit and the fact that
everyone is basically forced to keep manual numeric keys until either
sortable keys are implemented or the offset limit lifted (the former
is the long-term solution).

Aral