I've extended my implementation of a sharded, memcached counter to
allow more graceful handling of failed shard puts because of timeout,
capability disabling, etc.  The idea is to use memcache as a buffer
for failed put data, which gets re-added to the next successful put.

Longer writeup here:
http://billkatz.com/2008/10/Fault-tolerant-counters-for-App-Engine

Code is here: http://github.com/DocSavage/sharded_counter/tree/master/counter.py

Let me know if you see holes in this approach.  There might be a way
to generalize this method to provide a more fault-tolerant datastore
layer for more sophisticated models.