Regarding "Should we design our system so that if the datacenters
where an app is deployed are vaporized, then the app keeps serving?
No, this is a much thornier issue." does this mean that an app's data
is stored in one and only one data center with no off-site backups?

I could understand that the off-site backup of an app isn't
automatically started up when there is a burp in service from a
datacenter, but if all of the data was lost from a datacenter would it
just be gone?