I have in mind an app that would require image-on-image (not simple
shapes) compositing functions such as can be found in the Python Image
Library. I've gathered from past posts that there's no PIL support in
GAE and that this is not likely to change in the near term.  I gather
also that others have found some success calling PIL on third party
servers to do things like thumbnail generation.

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/1bd00d5eccb87b52/c6df4ae946a0d78a?lnk=gst&q=pil#c6df4ae946a0d78a

Would that sort of thing be possible for compositing type features?
How would I do it -- in broad strokes.

There's got to be some sort of workaround? Surely, I'm not the only
one looking for image processing beyond simple transforms, crops
(though the ImageAPI's built in auto exposure feature could be of use
in my hypothetical app).

Thanks for any ideas,
Jason