Jeff Nichols wrote:
> Answering my own question here...
>
> father = Father.all().filter("name =", "John").get()
> father.name = "Doe"
> sons = father.son_set.fetch(1000)
> print sons[0].father.name  #prints 'John'
>
> Maybe I'm just used to more 'traditional' ORM systems, but that seems
> to me unintuitive.  Not too mention inefficient.  Since Google is so
> concerned with performance, you'd think they would have built-in some
> sort of level 1 cache for entities.  Oh well...

No, Google is doing the right thing.  Fetching anything other than the
current value of the entity would be counter intuitive.  Few people
would expect your example to print anything other than "John", the
value that's actually stored in the datastore.   Remember also that
the datastore supports concurrent access, so it's possible for your
example to print something else entirely if the entity happens to get
updated by another request.

> And I'd still like to be able to have a datastore access log.

Try poking around the dev server source and adding some appropriate
logging statements.

                               Ross Ridge