I have a PC program which sends HTTP requests to the GoogleAppEngine
in order to load the database for our project. The application works
fine using the PC based dev environment but when applied to the online
environment occasionally a request fails with error code 500 as shown
by the online log. The failure appears to happen without generating an
exception in the python code as the debug output inside the exception
handler never appears.

How do I debug this?

PS. The first few time this db upload was done online it also worked
fine. The problems just started appearing today.