I'm not aware of anyway to get the mcycle in code either.  As a result
I've been breaking out little chunks of my processing and testing how
long each on takes and I've found that updating an existing entity
consumes no less then an average of 718 mcycles.  And that's for an
entity with an empty StringListProperty or an EmptyBlobProperty.
Starting adding properties or items to a list and the mcycle
consumption of an update starts jumping up.  For example an entity
with a single StringLIstProperty that has 40 elements each 14
characters long takes and average 2141 mcycles to update.

See
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/a29a4b1dd606f52e
for details.