What's the best practice for including a common dynamic view component
in every template? For example, say I want to include a short list of
links, dynamically queried from my datastore, on every page.

The default option seems to be adding this query to every request
handler, and use Django's template inheritance to reuse the display
logic. However, this still seems like a lot of work, so I decided to
create a "linklist" templatefilter to both query the data and retrieve
the template, and just add {{request|linklist}} to my base template.
This is simple, but seems like a hack. Is there a better way?