> If I don't use transactions (with the ratings in the same entity groups as
> the shards they are being served by) then I can't be guaranteed I don't
> accidentally drop or double count ratings in the case of errors. :( Is the
> idea that you are recommending I just say "oh well, its a drop in the
> bucket"? -J

Exactly!

Consider this example:

Let's say you had 100,000 ratings for a product, and 3% of them were
lost (I bet the real failure of db.put() is much less than that).

In the extreme case when the ratings that were saved were all '5's,
and the lost ones were all '1' we get:

Real average rating: 4.88
Calculated average rating: 5.00

Now this was the most extreme case possible, this scenario is more
real:

put() failure rate: 1%
saved ratings: '5'
lost ratings: '4'

real average: 4.99
calculated average: 5.00

If you visualise your ratings with stars your users won't see any
difference even in the most extreme case.