Thx for the answer. Sadly it is still not working.

- url: /(.*\.html)
  static_files: /\1
  upload: static/.*\.html

I still get the error:

ERROR    2008-11-05 17:35:53,834 dev_appserver.py] Error encountered
reading file "/credits.html":
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/credits.html'

This file however exists such as other *.html files which are not
found. Any other idea?

Thx...jago