Okay - i should've read this first:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/thedevwebserver.html
"Note: dev_appserver.py can only serve one request at a time. If your
application makes URL fetch requests to itself while processing a
request, these requests will fail when using the development web
server. (They will not fail when running on App Engine.) To test such
requests, you can run a second instance of dev_appserver.py on a
different port, then code your application to use the other server
when making requests to itself."