gaeutilities has a way for you to build the necessary functionality
you seek into your app. While it's still developmental, the project
now has a cron utility. To put it basically, it has two parts.

1. An application handler you can plug right into your app.yaml to add
tasks using cron syntax.
2. A cron class you can add, and then initialize on any page you want
to allow to handle firing off cron tasks.

How it works is every time you initialize Cron() in a request, it will
check and see if any tasks are scheduled to be run. If so, it will run
them. Because urlfetch is still synchronous, it checks the time before
and after each task it's running, if 1 (or more) as passed since it's
started firing tasks, it stops and continues on with the actual
request, leaving the rest of the tasks for the next request.

gaeutilities can be found here: http://gaeutilities.appspot.com/
Here's the wiki page with more information on Cron:
http://code.google.com/p/gaeutilities/wiki/Cron