I do have another question, what would be the self.request method to
get a date string of "11/11/2008" entered into a html field to be able
to add it to the data store with a field of DateProperty()?

for example to do the above i'm asking with integer it would be..
greeting.age = int(self.request.get('age'))

but i'm not sure what it would be for field defined as DateProperty()