It was timing out within memcache.get and memcache.set -
consistently.  If I understand you correctly - you're saying that
memcache isn't technically timing out, on the grounds that it would
complete if given enough time.  But, the cache misses take SO much
time that it consistently timeouts during the operations of
memcache.get and memcache.set.

Ok, sure, that may be the case.  I'm afraid I don't really see the
difference between that and timing out.  Either way, memcache.get and
memcache.set aren't exactly just "return false and letting your
application proceed."  The fact is they are causing timeouts.

obj = memcache.get(cache_key)
  File "/base/data/home/apps/careercup/13.329261908074364999/memcache/
__init__.py", line 362, in get
    self._make_sync_call('memcache', 'Get', request, response)

  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/
apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 46, in MakeSyncCall
    stub.MakeSyncCall(service, call, request, response)
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/runtime/
apiproxy.py", line 245, in MakeSyncCall

    rpc.Wait()
  File "/base/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/runtime/
apiproxy.py", line 161, in Wait
    rpc_completed = _apphosting_runtime___python__apiproxy.Wait(self)