I strongly suggest you not to re-invent the wheel, there are just too
many security issues to take care of if you decide to code
authentication yourself.

django.contrib.auth is your friend:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/

app-engine-patch can help you get it running on appengine:
http://code.google.com/p/app-engine-patch/wiki/CustomUserModel

See also this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/6d04d8b69e89d361/641e9565b6ad7071

Password field can be created with this code:

    password = forms.CharField(label='Current password',
max_length=100,
                               required=False,
                               widget=forms.PasswordInput
(render_value=False))

It works with Django 1.0, I'm not sure about 0.96 which is built into
appengine by default.

--
www.muspy.com