Hi Gijsbert,

Unfortunately, javascript doesn't allow you to have access to the client's
files to check the size, but if you used Flash, Gears, or Silverlight, you
could write a client side check on the file size.

This is a good feature request, though large file support is currently being
worked on, and is on our roadmap to release in the next few months:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/roadmap.html

-Marzia