Anybody like this?  I propose that Google allows Datastore entries to
expire and be automatically purged.  The default would be to never
expire (current behavior), but we might get an optional param, like
"time" from memcache.add():

time
Optional expiration time, either relative number of seconds from
current time (up to 1 month), or an absolute Unix epoch time. By
default, items never expire.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around managing retention
policies on old BigTable data, particularly with the lack of support
for long-running requests and the slowness/inability to make large
queries.  It seems that this simple addition to the db.Model API would
address a lot of these problems!

E.g. If you're storing "gifts" given for a simple social app, you
might set a 6 month retention on your Gift entities.  This keeps your
data store clean without requiring extra maintenance.  Users might
flag to "keep" a special gift (which would set the entity to never
expire), but otherwise you could keep running without indexes getting
huger and slower.

E.g. If you want to store votes for a week-long poll to make sure
nobody votes twice.  You tally votes as you go (sharded counters of
course), but store Vote Entities keyed by user IDs to allow quick
checks if people voted yet.  After the poll is closed, you don't want
thousands of Vote records sitting around in your store.  If they had
an expiration of 1 month, they'd automatically get cleaned up.

Is there a better way of handling this?