The following should work, if you haven't tried something along these
lines already.

Java:

    String inputString = "Hello, world!";
    byte[] input = inputString.getBytes("UTF-8");

    byte[] output = new byte[100];
    Deflater compresser = new Deflater();
    compresser.setInput(input);
    compresser.finish();
    compresser.deflate(output);

    FileOutputStream out = null;
    try {
      out = new FileOutputStream("some_temp_file");
      out.write(output);
    } finally {
      out.close();
    }

Python:

    import zlib
    zlib.decompress(data)
    print data

Let me know if you run into any trouble,

Daniel