I am pretty new to web development in general, in fact to any kind of
CS development.  Through my process of learning what I need to know I
think sometimes I miss the big picture, and that hurts me later.  I
started using GAE with basic html, and then moved to using Jquery.
Now it seems to me that have few pages for an app, and using ajax to
update and change content would be a good move.  My question is this,
what are the pros and cons of using a lot of javascript and/or ajax.
One example recently, I needed to parse some text from a quiz that my
users submits, I didn't really know if it was better to parse in JS,
then use ajax to send it to my python script and store it in the
datastore, or send the raw data and parse it in Python before sending
it to the datastore.

I have read many of the posts on optimal data structure and the like
and have learned a lot from them, so this is meant as a pretty open
ended question for best practices.

Thanks,

Scott