I spent the weekend trying various tweaks to attempt to reduce the
number of timeouts on this query but with no success.  Since the
problem seems to come and go in waves, I'm beginning to think it's
more related to load other issues on the server (not particularly
related to the load on my app).  Unfortunately, when 50% or more of
these simple queries timeout after waiting for several seconds, my app
becomes very unresponsive.

Has anyone had any success taming these timeout errors or is this an
acknowledged problem that might be worked out later in the beta
period?  If there isn't much hope for a resolution, I'm not sure I can
figure out a workable solution for our app on App Engine.

I'd love to provide additional information or tests if they would be
useful.

Thanks again for the help-

-Rob