I would like to run a daemon process. It does not need to do much work
- just poll some web pages once per day to log their status but runs
for a long time -- years. I think that turning my workstation into
"always on" server is not good for this purpose. Any server, which is
designed to be always online anyway, is a proper candidate to run such
kind of service, the daemon.

Nevertheless, as I now understand, the "applicaitons", which are
"hosted" on "application servers" are the typical "web applications"
rather than the normal application-level user processes running on top
of the OS kernel level of user machine. The main difference between
web applications and normal applications is that they are "web-request
driven" rather than "free-running" or system-events (timer) driven
like the usual applications. The processes are created on user request
and terminated on response. In attempt to overcome this limitation, I
downloaded the Google App Engine development env. and spawned a
thread. Surprisingly, the result is the same: the "main thread", which
produces the http response, waits for the child thread to terminate
before it sends the response. I do not know why it is so. Peahaps, all
the request threads "live" in the same transaction, which commits only
when they all terminate.

I'm asking the question:  Which kind of servers could host my
application? Can "application hosting server" do that?