On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Amir Michail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Instead of asking GAE developers to upload libraries they need, why
> not ask the developers of the libraries to upload versions that work
> with GAE?

It's important for an app owner to control which version of each dependency
the app uses.  To do this using shared libraries, App Engine would need to
provide a mechanism for the owner to request which version of each library
to use.  You'd also want inter-library dependency tracking features to help
prevent the app owner from requesting an incompatible set of libraries,
ideally including a dependency on the runtime version as well.  The app
owner would need this facility built in to the SDK to help ensure that the
local environment looks like the App Engine environment.  I gather something
like this could be based on PyPI and EasyInstall, but it'd be a substantial
project.

It's mostly easier for the app owner to bundle the library with the app.
 Most pure-Python packages are easy to bundle, and non-pure-Python packages
don't work with App Engine.  See the article on zipimport for information on
mitigating the file count and file size limits when using third-party
libraries.
  http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/django10_zipimport.html

-- Dan